Thursday, February 28, 2008

Two black eyes

Are there any people out there who don't like Pandas? These furry blacked eyed 'bears' that look so adorable and
appear so clumsy, lacking in grace. When I mentioned to my Chinese colleagues that I intended to visit the zoo,
their reply was one of shock. 'Why on earth are you going there' was the question. This seemed most strange to me,
for why does one normally go to the zoo? Or was it because they thought that I was too old to enjoy such a pleasure? The next comment was 'okay, but what do you want to see there, that you won't have already seen
elsewhere?'. To this my reply of course, as you yourselves can well imagine, for after all I am at present in China,
was the Giant Pandas! On further conversation I undestood that these natives were immune to the attractiveness of
this wonderful species, as they were a common animal in this country and not necessarily a 'world heritage'.

So, on a glorious warm, end of winter day, I took myself, by myself, off to the zoo. Accessible both by subway, bus and taxi, I found it quite easily. Originally a park and then susequent garden, the zoo itself was opened to the public
in 1908, known then as The Garden of 10,000 Animals. Unfortunately in the years of ruling invaders, the park was left
unkempt and after the death of the only elephant in 1937, the remaining animals were poisoned. After the founding
of the People's Republic of China in 19149, the park was reopened to the public the following year and a few years
later renamed.

The zoo is with its large array of different species, some of which are unique to China, is a place that I understand
many adults, usually accompanied by children, go to visit. So yet again, I was as a much of a curiosity both
to human and animals alike, as were the creatures themselves! I must admit that I was luckily not captured and
placed in one of the vacant cages!

In all seriousness, if you ever have the time, I highly recommend a visit to the zoo in any land, not only China.
Zoos give a wonderful insight to a nations' values. Animals are given as gifts to other counterparts worldwide, in the
name of peace and public relations. Even Theodore Roosevelt himself was given a stuffed bear by an Indian
Chief in recognition of his valor, subsequently all our 'adored' furry friends are called teddies!

Entrance to the zoo in some countries is costly, but not here, it is only 10 yuan for the zoo itself and 5 for the
Panda pavillion. The gateway itself is impressive and stands out pointedly against the backdrop of the surrounding
district. This area famous for its cheap clothing markets, is alive with a hustle and bustle of passers by, but more
strangely is the fact that no sounds of the animals themselves can be heard from the street.

On entering and after purchasing my 2 yuan map, though not necessary as all is adequately sign posted, I made a beeline for the Pandas. Producing my ticket, I took a few moments to gather my thoughts before entry. As in any
well placed, popular sideshow, one is first greeted by stalls selling every size and style of panda, or adorable panda
wares. Restraining myself, I tried to stand appropriately in line to see these black and white furry shapes. There
was one particular window that seemed to be the focal point of everyones attention and I soon understood why. For
there with his black nose and paws pressed up against the glass, was one of the larger Pandas staring out at one
and all, just as they were gazing back at him.

Cameras flashing (not clicking as all appears to be digital and quiet nowadays), telephones held high and clicking,
the giant model was the centre of attention. Other 'rock mates' were lounging around either nibbling on bamboo
shoots or lazing back against the rocks, their feet held out in front of them as if waiting for their daily foot massage.
Adorable and sweet, I reluctantly left them to make room for others.

No comments: