Saturday, February 23, 2008

'Time Warp'

I have had so many comments about my blog on the babies of China not wearing nappies, that I wish to comment on some of them.

Teaching in China, is very different from teaching in Israel.
For a start, here there is no common language, for even if I will in time be able to learn some chinese, that at present sounds like 'double dutch', it will be very difficult to hold a long and natural conversation in it. The language is as complex as the people and because they are so
curious about me and the west, has led to many a discussion on my observations.

I am unable to access my writings here in Beijing, whether it is due to censorship or just the way
some companies block certain sites; I can write freely, but am unable to edit and once posted, it has gone. As my students are so curious to see what I have written, one of their homework assignments is to find me a way in!!

Having told them of my shock and dismay at seeing a baby in public with all his private parts hanging out for all to see, has left them a) in wonder at my astonishment b) looking at this
habitual chinese act in a new light c) commenting about their views on the westerners behaviour.

For the first time last night, upon taking a taxi, I was met with a driver who did not have the
right change to give me. Even though I had heard of this occurence, it had not as of yet, happened to me. It is irrelevant that it was for only 1 yuan, it was the principle that dismayed me! I can count on two hands how many people I have seen that actually still spit on the road
freely, so as to be confronted with proof that taxi drivers do not give change, was my first
disappointment.

One of my students pointed out that as I was a liberal minded woman, it confused him as to
why I found it distressing to see babies with no nappies. I replied by telling him that it had at times been pointed out to me in my life that for all my tolerance, in some things I had traditional ideas. This answer seemed to satisfy him temporarily, for the following week, he in turn told me that chinese travellers are shocked and taken aback by the women's style of dress in the west, which they consider to be not almost naked, but naked!!

On discussion as to how the children in the west are allowed to go out dressed like that, I very diplomatically explained that today it is a case more of protesting and advising, as opposed to laying down the law. Saying that, on teaching young children over the Chinese New Year, I have gotten to know the disciplinary habits of the parents better. Controlling the class is not the problem, as maybe being a more mature teacher, I am better able to keep order. Saying that, after a month with one class, they suddenly became freer in their behaviour and to the point of rudeness in their gestures.

During one prancing, dancing around session to the tune of the 'Hokey Pokey' (an old english
dance) the children started to squat down as if in a position of going to the toilet to relieve themselves. When I told them to stop, I was not only ignored, but I could see their lack of comprehension as to why this was wrong. Afterwards the parents outside asked me what the children had done to offend me and upon explanation, could not understand my annoyance.
This is because here children will relieve themselves at a young age in any corner if there are
no toilets available, whereas in the west, even if we had to let our children do that, we would find a tree, or hedge for more privacy.

I have decided that for all my smiling face, these young parents are unacustomed to meeting a
more convential children's teacher. After having a young mother stand outside my classroom talking through the door to her son, for forty minutes, I came out and told her that he is either in
or out, but she is not to stand there any longer. She moved away and waited for her son to come to claim her, as opposed to the other way round at the end of the lesson. This week, to my
astonishment, she brought him to the door, disappeared and peace reigned in the classroom!!
At the end I made a point of singling her out for praise - she just kept smiling and bowing to me in reverence. No one could believe that I had succeeded with this parent and I became quite the heroine. (I always say that after the age of 45 you can say what you want).

No comments: