Thursday, February 14, 2008

Coffee

Here in China, there are as many coffee shops as I have seen both in Israel and London.
Every second corner has a Starbucks or SPR coffee shop, besides the bakeries and patisseries
that are scattered inbetween too.

Yesterday in the 7 - 11 store, as I was purchasing my daily soup, they persuaded me to buy
something that resembled caramel pudding. Well, I have to say, creme boulee move over!!
This little pot costs under a $1, or 3.5nis or around 8Op (UK) and was delicious (of course
fattening, that goes without saying)!

The chinese people have a sweet tooth, so for all of you who are worried that you will not find your favorite chocs, that may be, but there are plenty of other local goodies to sustain you.

What amazes me is how we always presume in the west, that the chinese eat rice and not sweeties, but the rice is more Thai or from the south and goodies are in abundance. In the
supermarket all the cakes and biscuits are sold in plastic containers, like we would expect to find in a mix sweet counter and can be taken out with tongs and then weighed. The choice of swiss roll, biscuits of every kind, madeira cakes, chocolote squares are in abundance, even a very
delicious cheese cake that is sold in slices for around a $1!!

It was strange to read an article in the local paper talking about Starbucks in America having
to close a 100 of its stores, but here in Chinaland a new one seems to be sprouting every week
(let us remember though, that they were not successful in Israel) - so here is what I say to
Aroma or Hillel or any other of the Israeli brands - move to China! There are plenty of chinese,
plenty of ex pats and plenty a sweet taste!

As for myself, I can only say that I have not succumbed to the smell of their coffee and have as of yet, tasted only one of their muffins (it was the cheapest thing on the menu) and due to its size was unable to finish it.

As for restaurants, I think a Houmous bar should be opened here, the chinese love to eat and taste on a regular basis all kinds of cuisine, they even eat bread in abundance, as well as with
chop sticks or their fingers. They are used to sharing, but are not great in the salad department, in that quarter they have what to learn as it is all thrown into hot water (hot pot), but have all requested that I somehow manouver for them a taste of this mysterious delicacy.

Anyone offering to bring me some? I must admit I miss it too, but of course dont forget the pitta.

No comments: