Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bicycle Mania

Living in an area of Beijing that is mainly Chinese, it seems that daily something else catches my eye. On my daily jaunt to work, I spot the strangest assortment of vehicles.

I am sure that if I travelled to other places in Asia, or even India, I would probably see more interesting modes of transport, but at present it is here in China that I have become fascinated with.

Driving in Beijing is known to be dangerous, as even though the driver pays attention to the traffic lights, they have right turns that give no indication that they are in use. In other countries, markings on the road, or an arrow, traffic light will indicate that this is the right of way. Here you have to be almost killed before you get the ins and outs of the traffic regulations. It is no wonder that then for a foreigner a written test is all that is required to be able to drive, because they are afraid that the harrowing experience may result in a lawsuit!

But, as i have written earlier, being run over or nearly so, by a bicycle is the most hilarious and dangerous thing - not only can you topple the rider, but you yourself will find you tumbling over and sprawled all over the street with the offender shrieking at you in Chinese. (Luckily this has of yet
not happened to me, but I have witnessed such an event).

So, as I am walking to the bus stop, the amount of bicycles of all assortments meet my eye.
On exiting my compoud, I see the reguar bicycle 'fixer' sitting on the side of the road, with a box
that would normally be used for electricity open and inside his display of tools and wares. These consist of tires, baskets, pumps and bells for sale, plus whatever it is that he needs to use for repair. The assortment of customers ranges from the pedicab, milk cart, housewife and tricycle that are turned upside down and a long chatty conversation takes place as the repair is carried out. It is both social, commercial as well as a practical way to make a living.

On the street itself, the pedicabs range from the deluxe, to the covered in canvas or material for protection, to the completely enclosed in aluminium or fibre glass, for protection against the cold.
These more often than not can be seen outside foreign workplaces at the end of the day, trying to pick up a fare. I myself have not tried one yet as i am waiting for warmer days.

Bikes are a variation from very old and decrepit to the shiny new. It is not surprise that the newer
versions are the ones that one sees less, as theft is rife so people prefer to keep the old serviceable models that do not attract attention.

More, a little later....

1 comment:

Davina& Ruth said...

Ha Ha! so funny the bicycle accident. I don't belive you haven't caused one yet. You must be improving since are the only one I know who has been run over by a taxi, fallen when walking down the street and flown in a bus!