Thursday, February 7, 2008

Guccci in Beijing

Well, today I was taken to my first Mall. This particular Mall is called 'Shin Kong Place' and is
located between the 2nd and 3rd Ring Road. (Beijing is built around it's central square and
Fobrbidden City, around which there are ring roads, growing larger and larger, encasing the
entire city, up to the 5th ring road, where the Olympic Stadium is situated). This Mall is built
between a mixture of Harrods London and a French or Rome chic high street. Many a designer
name that you could think of including Gucci, Prada and many others are to be found here. There exclusive stores elegantly furnished, displaying their wares with utter elegance. The upper floors are more of the same, well known brand names displayed as in any elegant store
in the West.

Not able to do more than window shop, I enjoyed looking at the beautiful displays, for even
if I was able to afford such things, am not one who would enjoy spending my money on such
unecessary luxuries - I prefer the markets and even second hand stores, where a good bargain
can be found, that can be made to look original and having the knowledge and experience of a good hunt and paying a low price.

But it was to the basement that my attention turned. Here displayed for all to see, was a mini
food hall, I say mini in comparison to such as one to be found in Fortnum & Mason (London),
displaying meats, cheeses and more importantly chocolates!! Being a choco-holic, I could not
resist the tempting treats and stopped at the Belgian Chocolate counter, not asking the price, but
sure that they must compare favorably with the west, I told my colleague that we would taste
4 pieces, 2 each. After choosing the first 2, she warned me, after seeing the price advertised that
it may prove to be a little too expensive! So stopping at too, I asked for them to be weighed and
be told the price. The young woman's face was a picture, as she looked both astounded and
offended at more mere offerings, but nevertheless proceeded to weigh them.

To my horror, the price came to 55 rmb - this in shekels is around 22.50 and in pounds sterling
just under threee pounds!! To my shame and maybe credit, I hastily apologised and refused to take or pay for the two delicious looking chocolate pieces, but quickly shuffled away with my head bent in shame.

My friend, laughing at my anguish, proceeded to take me around the food hall, until finally we
fell upon a French Patisserie, here we found a delicious choux pastry, filled with fresh cream
and strawberries for only 10rmb (5nis - pounds: 1.25) which we bought and thoroughly
enjoyed! (I cant help dreaming about those chocolates though........).

No comments: