Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Squashed and trampled

I wonder how it will be during the Olympics here in Beijing. Citizens are always complaining that the streets are overcrowded, but with half a million expected in August, plus under few hundred thousand visitors, I am sure that they do not know what is coming!

Cars are going to be regulated to even and odd numbers on alternate days. Industrial pollution
is going to cease from the end of June for two months, as to clear the atmosphere, but nothing as
of yet has been said about a ban on smoking, which in itself works up an industry of its own!

Appartments will be rented out, not only by the Chinese, but the ex-pats are also jumping in on the chance to make a few bucks and maybe they have the right idea, to go somewhere peaceful, sunny and under populated or invaded.

Trying to get on the bus on Monday, I found myself totally lifted off the ground in the throes
of would be passengers, I guarantee no easy feat, but then hurled to the ground and almost trampled on as those around me made their mad scramble for the seats available. It was only when one burly gentleman grabbed my arm and gave me a lift up, plus an allocated seat, that I realised that if this is what happens now, what will be then!?

Hotel prices are rising too, so I would be sure to get in your early booking and confirmation, with even an insurance guarantee that this particular accomodation and price will be held at the time of visit. It is only understandable that all will be competitive as wages are low and the chance to earn high.

I personally intend to have done all my touristy site visiting and Olympic purchasing of memorabilia, well before the appointed dates. You too?

No comments: