Thursday, February 7, 2008

Chinese dinner

Well, I was told tonight I was to be in for a treat. Being 'Spring Festival' I was invited to the
'Master's' house. The Master, was/is a martial arts teacher for many years, of Chinese Wrestling and is famous worldwide, with scores of students and even grand-students (children of past pupils) under his belt.

Taken into the heart of the older districts of Beijing, I was brought to the Master's home. Set in
an old courtyard complex, built around 1950, it is not one of the traditional courtyards but similar to any of those built in the 1930 - 50 both in Israel, England and Europe. Once a community complex, now more so each family to themselves. The appartments are not very
large and it is quite common for the landing to be used as an overflow for cupboard/closet or even a safe (extremely large) space. The furnishings are old fashioned, but the toilet modern, monies not being wasted on new fangled appliances or furniture. Everything is functional and simple.

Even though I know that there are many poor families and people living in China in very harsh
conditions, I did not find this house poor, to the contrary, I found it rich in values; the walls
decorated with Chinese proverbs and wishes, as well as a number of sepia pictures taken 50
or more years ago, set in another era. The master reminded me of the ultra orthodox jewish men, who when there is a Sabbath meal or festival, dress up in a special silk black coat, but when the meal is served, change to a more simple version. This is what the master did, he had been wearing a beautifully tailored royal blue brocade jacket and now changed into a more simple wrap over for the meal.

The meal set around a wooden table, was surrounded by upholstered chairs and a bed serving
as a bench. Small flowered bowls and long chop sticks were placed in front of us and an assort-ment of wine glasses. A bottle of red wine was produced and the red liquid poured freely into
our glasses. The table soon began to be laden with a wide assortment of dishes varying from
fish that was fried in rectangular pieces (much too bony for my taste) and a variety of vegetables
cooked in varying sauces; such as bean sprounts, egg plant, shredded potato and spring onions.

The delicacy of the meal was the large red radishes, that were to be dipped into a sweet stick
sauce and then munched enthusiastically. A large stew/soup was placed in the middle, which
contained large chunks of potato and meat. Each person helps themselves with their own chop sticks and the only serving spoon being for the stew. All eyes of course were on me and my ability to use the two sticks of woods, but after a month now in China, I am becoming a deft hand
at it. (The trick is to just take a look at what everyone else does and then to find your own
comfortable position of holding them).

A number of toasts are given, with everyone chinking their glasses, but they were delighted when I taught them the Hebrew word for 'cheers' which is 'L'Hayim' which means 'Life' and
kept repeating it delighting in its' sound and their ability to pronounce it. Rice was also offered,
whole bowlfuls of it being eaten as a desert to the meal. Only when everyone had enjoyed and
eaten their fill, did the cook, in this case one of the sons, take a bowl and eat his fill.


The meal over, our host put back on his royal blue coat, that he proudly told me had cost 800rmb, showing me the handiwork and frog fastenings that held it together in the front.
It was a delightful experience, full of hospitaliy and generosity - they all reminded me so much
of Israeli hosts or my own mother, constantly filling your plate without even asking, making sure
that you are completely satisfied. Upon leaving I was told that as I was so far away from my
own home, I should feel free to treat their home as my own and come any time. It was
truly a warm, generous and sincere offer. I shall look forward to my return visit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They sound very nice and welcoming and sounds like you had a good time!