Tuesday, February 26, 2008

They're back!!

As I am sure any a Jerusalemite can testify, roadworks on a street can cause quite a disruption. I am not talking about the ones that are usually carried out on the main roads themselves, but the more annoying ones that seem to spill over onto the pavement, making a pedestrians life an
impossibility!

For those of you not of Jerusalem (Israel), let me set you a scene. In the city centre there is an extremely popular food market that joins the main street to the city centre, for a few years now,
the municipality has been preparing a 'light railway' (something like a tram/underground train)
that is supposed to, when it is finally finished, release some of the traffic congestion in the city.
But, it seemed that every time they put up a sign, 'thank you very much for your patience and assistance', there was another sign up the next day, in a not to far away spot, again requesting same patience and assistance as they disturbed the 'walkers' freedom once again with the next bit!!!

This morning on my daily jaunt to the bus stop, I was reminded of the same happening here.
The day before last, I was forced, to the dismay of all bicyclists, into the designed bike path, as construction had been erected on the pavement in my path. Narrowly missing being flattened, I kept myself almost plastered to the parked cars, only to find this morning, that the last remaining piece of sidewalk had now too been boarded up with colorful sheeting and scaffolding as they are building god knows what in my path!

I am all for progress, but sometimes it can be a little annoying. Pity the poor fellow who was
riding a wheelbarrow contraption tied to his bike, filled to the brim with freshly laid eggs (they still had feathers on them) as he had to skid in order not to trample me underfoot!! I tried in vain to explain that it was not my doing, but all he did was shake a fist. Really, believe me you can't miss me in my yellow coat and hair, I look like a monster chick!!

No comments: