Wednesday, February 13, 2008

new year celebrations

I am non stop asked what is my opinion of the Chinese, whoever or whenever I meet a member of this race, this is inevitably one of the questions that come up in conversation. I am not sure yet as to why they ask; is it for a need to see themselves through the eyes of the west? Approval or just curiosity.

Answering has not proven to be a difficulty, for I really have so far, enjoyed my interactions with them. Are they different to others in the world? Well, I find them charming in their innocence, not aggressive. They do stare a lot, but after having lived in Israel for many years, you get used to being stared at and I am able to ignore it. Another thing they do is chatter away to you at top speed and even if you have a smattering of the language, it is impossible to follow.

But and here I stress the but, I can guarantee that with a little bit of effort, sign, body and grunting sounds make a language and you are able to understand each other quite well!!
I was accused of yesterday, was that I still have the 'China' fascination, that I am still enamoured and enthusiastic about the people and life here. I totally disagree with that observation, because I feel this is why we travel, to take in and enjoy new things.

So, on the Chinese New year, that began last Wednesday night, the sound of the fireworks and firecrackers soon lit up the sky as well as pierced your eardrums!! Walking along the street at around 8.OO pm when it all first began, I was fascinated to see the sky being set alight with a
mixture of green, pink and white sparks. I found myself stopping and gazing up as they seem to appear spontaneously all over my head. All too soon, my excitement turned to a light fear, as I could hear the sound of the rockets rising by their wheeze and then silence as they burst open and fell rapidly to the ground. After a couple of near misses, I decided it would be safer to go indoors and beat a dignified retreat into my home.

I was not at all sure at first if this was the right decision, because it seemed to me that my whole
building was exploding from the sounds outside. Running to the utility room window I gazed agog at the sight before my eyes. People were running along the road, pulling a line of fire crackers behind them - irregardless of their safety! Fireworks were being let off at random on sandy ground, or in tin bins right next to parked cars. It was unimportant to anyone standing around if there was someone actually keeping an eye on these sparks, they appoared to be lit and left alone to their own devices.

Car alarms were ringing constantly as each new boom resounded in the night and sky was set
ablaze in colorful lights! This merriment seemed to go on for many hours and for the less brave of the parents, or more sensible, gigantic sparklers were placed in the hands of eager children, to be lit and twirled until they had lost their light.

Was it enjoyable? Yes, even beautiful. It was even more so by the fact that the merry makers were not drunk, or crashing around in the streets, they were not destroying property, just looking up at the sky in their thick winter coats, trying to ward off the cold night air.

As for myself, I was a little nostalgic, remembering Guy Fawkes nights of a bygone year, or sitting around bonfires on Lag Baomer day when my children were young (a night of festivity in Israel around late April, where bonfires are lit all over the country to commemorate a past miracle from the Temple period) being sent home to sit awake awaiting the dawn and their
safe arrival home after being able to stay up all night outside on their own. Now they are grown and here I find myself in Beijing, at the start of the weeks' festivities.

No comments: