Monday, March 31, 2008

A bright foot forward

For fellow 'croc-a-maniacs' such as myself, you will be delighted to hear that
I have found places here in this large city, that sell the original 'crocs'!!
Of course this was a must for me, as summer, winter or fall you can see me walking the streets of Israel in my bright gear. Long before the craze hit Europe, I could be seen pounding the streets, sockless in my yellow, purple, red or gold (these being my best ones) foot attire.

To promote this addiction here in China, it is said that Yao Ming the basketball superstar and Jackie Chan of Hollywood fame as well at an event last summer at Shanhaiguan, three hours out of Beijing, where the Great Wall meets the sea, the DJs spun their music, wearing Crocs, provided by the manufacturer.

At the Aquatic Center that has been built especially for the Olympics, the colorful arena there will be selling their own bottled water brand, as well as other Water Cube products that include swimwear and memorabilian. It has
been rumored that Crocs will be up for sale too. (I just hope that they will
be the slip-proof kind). This center, built to be 'green', using energy saving
technologies can actually collect 10,000 tons of rain water, 70,000 tons of clean water and 60,000 tons of swimming pool water per year. It can also save 140,000 tons of recycled water per year! Impressive.

Despite what the world thinks of China, the people are loyal to their country and proud of their efforts to make an outstanding performance, they know that the world is watching. Each contractor has been told that he has to plant trees, paint and renovate their properties in lieu of the upcoming event.

Next Friday is a new national holiday, maybe one of a few, now that the May holiday has been cancelled, except for the first of the month. The 4 April, Friday is known as 'Cleaning the Graves' day, as thousands go to visit their ancestors remains and lay flowers there. Some will be turning it into a long week-end, but for others, the holiday will last only a day.

With all this activity and adventure of being in Asia, there is no question that
I have been spoilt, for the pace of life here is for me quite tranquil In Israel, we live a much faster rate and whether it is good, bad, or unhealthy, I personally could never live in China for a long period, but consider myself a temporary
stopper-over, with eyes on the next post of maybe Japan and then who knows, in the future, South America?! I always said I was born in England by mistake.

As for me, if you are looking for me during the summer, or at the games, I shall be one sporting the colorful crocs, electrified hair and flying the flag, the Israeli one of course. As I say to my students, it is good to be proud of ones country, irrelevant what others think of it, it is a question of loyalty.

No comments: