Monday, March 31, 2008

Controversy!!!

I have to start off by saying that I love being here in Beijing, I am not saying that it is easy, but it is an experience to say the least. The hard part is not having the children close by, but I hope that at the end of my travels, I will have more stories to tell.

Having lived in Israel for the last 22 years, I haven't in a long time stopped to think of myself in 'jewish' terms, but define myself only as an Israeli, so it is very strange to come here to Asia and be asked and told many a time 'are you jewish?', or 'how nice to have a 'jewish'mother around' (I'm not sure what that
one is supposed to mean). In the past i have been a practicing one, but gave that part up when I was 'joined at the hip' to my now ex husband for 15 years, after I had left him, till he finally set me officially free.

So, looking on the web site for somewhere to participate in the Eve of Passover
rituals, I noticed an advertisement for the local Beijing Community, that holds services and Sabbath (Friday night) Eve dinners together. They will also have a communal Seder (eve of Passover dinner) on the second day of Passover, for those who do not live in Israel, have to celebrate for an extra day. At first tempted, I later decided against it. With all the greatest respect and admiration for my fellow faith compatriots, living in Israel has taught me that I do not feel the necessity to prove my faith, but rather live it.

This for me has been a relevation and confirmation, for one of the reasons (and believe me there are many) that I left Israel on this 'big' adventure, was to remember why I went there in the first place!! Disillusionment with the tax
authorities, government and courts that have neither defended or helped in times of need, but request feeding very much the same as those of you who remember the plant in the now classic film 'the Little Shop of Horrors' - Feed Me!! will well understand.

Living at present now in Asia can be at times funny (looks and comments), frustrating (taxi drivers) and both a learning and interesting experience (the people I meet). Students constantly ask me if the Israeli Government is a good one, or whether other Parliaments throughout the democratic world are better.
It always gives me a moment to pause and stress, that they must not mix up the
Chinese policy of informing the people on a 'need to know' basis and whether they are good or not. Is the British one good? Is the Israeli one better? Is America an example of what is best? These are questions that I am forced to answer and be as candid as I possibly can. Is there such a thing as perfect? Of course not, each one in turn has policies that can benefit and harm the individual - but again when asked and encouraged to make Beijing my home or
asked by those from abroad 'how long are you going to be gone?' - I reassure
one and all, I am on a temporary leave of absence, to remember why I went in the first place.

It may not be perfect, it is sometimes destroying and I mean that in the emotional sense, but it is home - not only because of my children who are my
life, plus grand-daughter, but because yesterday whilst I was playing a game with my class of 20 questions, one of them was what is your most memorable moment and they turned around and asked me to answer that one first.

My reply was, that life is made up of moments, more than one, that makes it all worthwhile. Sitting around the table with all the children present, when we are in a talkative and laughing mood, the birth of my grand-daughter, a party thrown for me by friends, help and support from a loved one or that moment when I am on the bus to Jerusalem, late at night coming back from a long days
work in Tel Aviv and I happen to glance out of the window and see Jerusalem coming up around the hill in front of me - I still find, even after all these years, that I can catch my breath and feel that I am coming home.

No comments: