Sunday, March 16, 2008

Just to say.....

Firstly I have to say that this was one frustrating week. Unfortunately, I again apologise that I have been unable to post pictures on my blog, but due to limited talent in the department of computer technology and even with helpful information, clear lay out and explanation, I have been unable to find the time to sit and upload individually my photographic clips - please do not lose heart or patience, I am holding out for a better week and more time.

Secondly, I have been reprimanded for not saying a word or two about my family. So here goes: My total family consists of my children, son in law, grand-daughter, 'adopted sister/aunt' (Sue inEngland) and a host of
great friends, loyal colleagues and students who have become valued and prized,that is about it.
I have to point out here, that I am luckier than most, for I have had the good fortune to be surround, supported and enjoyed the company of the above.

My kids, my son-in-law and my first baby grand-daughter are my whole life. They fill my world, they are my reason for holding on through thick and thin. For those of you who know me personally, youknowtoo well to what I refer. Life is not easy, it is complicated and set with many pebbles, rocks and boulders along the way, but one has to hold on to an
idea, a vision, a reasoning inside the insanity, that makes it all worthwhile.

This week I received some photographs. One was from my daughter with a mixture of pictures of her family and the other was one taken just with my boys. Of course you can imagine, all around me were curious to put faces to the stories and imediately fell upon my stash of photos, with the expected oohs and aahs that one receives, with the required touch wood and clucking sounds that are meant to ward off any evil eye. There astonishment at my brood, of all shapes, ages and sizes, as well as further more, they were all connected to me!!

I suddenly stopped and looked back, my children were not children anymore. One was a parent with a family and husband of her own, the others were making their way through life, choosing their paths and with whom to share it. A wonderment came into my eyes; where had all the time gone. Was it not only yesterday that we all had camped out in my bedroom on a Saturday, arm and legs in all directions, pillow to pillow, extra friends coming to join from neighboring houses, as we all huddled together for warmth and company.

As I gazed at all the pictures in my hand, I realised how much I had to be
thankful for. We had enjoyed, survived, suffered and laughed our way through many a year, with the support of an adopted friend now family and her late father, friendship given and received from those mentioned above and now here we are. A little spread out, but with the future lying in front of us.

When I talk to my new Chinese students and colleagues, I feel truly blessed. Maybe life has not always been easy, but I had the honor and
privilege tobring up my brood; to share precious moments, to have many memories. One of my sons said, that when he went shopping and saw the diet bread that I loved to eat, he missed me and our times together.
Upon repeating this to a friend, she laughed and said "I always knew you resembled a piece of bread!" I personally found it endearing.

When I chat weekly to my daughter, I recall our year that we took to spend together, visits to the cinema, breakfasts and gym (not that it made much difference on my body!) and to hear her baby cooing in the background, closes a circle for me. Chats to my other boys as they touch home and daily emails from my family/friend Sue,make me feel all the more responsible to make this 'travelling/working/writing/expedition work!"

So, keep reading, spreading, commenting and encouraging, you are as much part of this blog as I am myself, thank you.



No comments: