Sunday, March 16, 2008

Business the Chinese Way

Always open to business opportunities, if not for myself then for others, I am happy to be called upon for advice, brainstorming or a sharing of ideas. So when I was asked by a native for an outside opinion and view of their budding business, I went with pleasure.

After some discussion and exchange of thought, we arranged a meeting for the following week. Upon my arrival at the appointed time and place, I was taken aback to find the premises in darkness and no one there to answer my ring. I rang the number and was told, with no apology, that he had gone out to dinner with some friends and would not be coming back for the next hour or two.

Feeling a little annoyed, but not too put out as I thought maybe this was the way that business was done in China, I made my way back the way I had come. Too busy to follow up this joint venture and deciding that I was none to interested in the proposition even for all its promise, I put the incident to the back of my mind.

At the beginning of last week, I received a phone call. The gentleman in question, had an urgent request. He needed my help to further launch his project and was offering me a position. I firmly said that I was busy and happy with the place of work that I had now, but after some pleading on his part, I agreed to go along in a strictly advisory role. I pointed out that confirmation of our appointment was required on my part and if given, I would come along.

On the appointed day, a text message was received and a time set. As I was making my way there, in a 'good' taxi, a number of telephone conversations were exchanged; for the exact address, the length of time that it would take me to arrive, as well as being told a surprise awaited me.

Upon my arrival, I was met by the business gentleman in question and a colleague. He promptly apologised by saying that he had had the intention for me to meet another learned fellow, but unfortunately they were unable to make it, but had requested that he come there, alone, without any further associates in his wake!

He then proceeded to request that I stay at the office, with the other lady colleague and await his return. I replied that it was highly unlikely that I would do so, as I had other things to do, than sit there and await his return. I reminded him that he had requested and insisted upon my appearance and help and had brought me there for no reason, when I could have quite happily made my way home from teaching a full day.

After he left, I felt unfairly obligated to listed to the ladies request for advice, gave it freely, at annoyance with myself for doing so and left after 30 minutes, much to her distress and begging me to stay. An hour later I received a call, that I did not deign to answer.

If this had not been a business meeting, I might not have been so annoyed, but this was a person, with a small business, hoping to expand to other countries, but unable to keep to an appointed meeting.

When asking my students if this was normal practice in the east, I was given a mixture of replies. One was that he had apologised, therefore I had no reason to be offended, but should have waited. The second being that this was most definitely not the chinese way or practice, but the behaviour of a small minded business individual who did not know the etiquette required. They then proceeded to compare this happening with American business associates that habitually arrived late for meetings with no apology! Well, count me out, if that is how business is done here,
then writing is my game...

No comments: