Friday, September 19, 2008

Knights in Shining Armor!

After a difficult and uncomfortable flight, we finally landed in Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion Airport at
4.30 am, after an 11 hour flight. By this time, I was so piled up with blankets and pillows propping up my leg, that I was almost hidden as I lay there waiting for all the passenger to
descend.

An airport official, armed with walkie talkie, came and explained to me that my amazing daughter had arranged for an ambulance to come and transfer me from the plane to their
waiting vehicle. I have to explain first who these wonderful ambulance team were. For those
of you who read this blog, in Judaism, there are many types of people, religion being practiced on
many levels, the highest known as Haredim or Hassidim. These good people have long side locks, where black skull caps and adorn a four fringed garment over or under their clothes, with
long strings hanging down from its four corners. They are often under attack for being lazy,
eccentric or some other such complaint, but in truth like every community or sector, there are
good and bad people. This particular ambulance service, gave their time and energy for FREE!

Two burly, gingy bearded men came to introduce themselves. Upon seeing my predicament
they asked to borrow the collapsible wheelchair from the National Airline that we were flying
on, to transfer me to the airport cargo truck that was waiting attached to the plane. Again this
was easier than it sounded, as I had to jump once again over the arm rest and propel myself
without further injury into the chair. Successfully having done so, we now proceeded down the
aisle smoother than our entry, but to my disappointment once again in my countrymen, we were
accosted by the same unfriendly stewards, who instead of wishing me well, shouted out twice
that they should be sure to return the chair to its place; totally ignoring me and my discomfort
at their rude and inappropriate behaviour!

At the entrance to the aircraft their was a large blue cargo truck, that was fitted with elevator
facilities and I was lowered slowly to the waiting 'Lancelot' chariot. Here, I transfered on to
a collapsable bed and was comfortably placed inside and the offending chair returned to the
surly staff of the airplane. Security check was brief and warm, with well wishes given and at
the entrance to the airport, the doors opened and my wonderful daughter alighted to join me
on the rest of my journey. What a sight for sore eyes.

We then began our 50 minute journey to Jerusalem, to the Hadassah Hospital in Ein Kerem
where I was taken to the emergency room for the next stage of my unplanned and painful
adventure.

No comments: