Thursday, September 18, 2008

Flying Doctor!

Sitting in the clinic was difficult, not because of the pain, but what to do. Work, responsibilities and finance all being of the upmost importance and made the decision more confusing and
difficult to make. The option of flying to Hong Kong seemed the best idea at the time, as the
doctor in charge assured me that the operation would be a simple procedure and I would only
have to stay there for 3 - 4 days maximum. I would then return home, but would somehow be
able to manage to continue working, even if it meant sleeping for a while on work premises. But,
after a long deliberation of where, what and how, the choice was made for me by nature. In Hong Kong the next day there was reports of a typhoon and the ex pat hospital in Beijing did not
invoke enough confidence in me, so I telephoned my wise daughter, who immediately told me to
come home! Which is what I did.

During the hours that I spent in the hospital, two young Chinese colleagues came to help me out,
by going over to my house and packing me an overnight bag and a few belongings that I wished
to take with me, I know that it was not easy for them, one having given up her free day to do so,
but I shall always remember their kindness. But, it was the unexpected that warmed my heart,
not only the offers of help from a couple of my male counterparts at work, but the unexpected
sight of a fellow female teacher who came and held my hand, massaged my back and offered
warmth and support throughout my ordeal, she knows who she is, bless you, I will never forget
your help in those difficult hours.

After the decision was made, it was now time to find a flight. I called an ex colleague now turned
travel agent and enlisted her help. The doctors had agreed that I could make the flight home, but were unwilling to take responsibility if something should happen to me along the way. They
bandaged my leg as best as they could, armed me with pain killers and arranged for an
ambulance to take me wherever I wished t go. My agent explained that all the offices were
already closed and the only place to get a ticket was from the airport itself. After having my
daughter check on the internet, we found out that there was one direct flight leaving that day
in under four hours! This was the only direct flight to Israel until Sunday, otherwise it would
have to be a connecting one on the following day.

This for two reasons would be too late. One the operation was urgent and there would be no
way that I would be able to transfer myself to a different plane, it would be hard enough to
even get on the first one. So, sending my fellow teacher and our Chinese colleagues beck to
the appartment, to empty the fridge of my two weeks shopping, I sent my agent friend to
the airport to buy a ticket, while I waited nervously in pain, at the clinic.

No comments: