Thursday, September 18, 2008

Harsh Treatment

Time was ticking by, the flight was to leave at 22.00 and I still did not have either a ticket, baggage or confirmation if it would all come together. Going on the assumption that it would
all come together, my daughter was to make all the arrangements on the Israel side, all I had to
do was get on the plane. My agent made her way to the airport and telephoned me from there
around 20.30 to tell me that they would not sell her a ticket! I immediately asked her to hand
me the person and I would talk to them and in no uncertain terms, I made it plainly clear that
I had to get a seat on that airline due to my broken ankle and urgency to get proper medical
treatment in my limited timespan.

Crisis over, my attention now turned to getting myself released, arranging for an ambulance to
come and take me, as well as my friends to return with my few possessions. Now the fun began.
An abulance arrived at the clinic, time was now limited, my colleagues had returned and with
well wishes, had left my fellow teacher remained with me, insisting on accompanying me to the
airport. But, the ambulance was now refusing to take me, they insisted that the distance was to
far and they did not want to get caught up in the traffic!! I could not join in the arguing, as my
Chinese is reserved to a simple right, left and straight on! but after some heated discussions, they were persuaded to take me.

I wish I could tell you that it was a smooth and comfortable ride, instead of one of bouncing
around in pain and discomfort, but to give them credit they got me to the airport in record
time, with minutes to spare. Creating a true entrance into the main doorway of the airport,
we were waved past the first security gate, straight into the care of my agent, her husband and
young son, flight attendant and wheelchair.

There was little time to spare if I wished to catch this plane, the way to the carrier was long,
further than European flights, for security reasons and after changing into the airport chair,
that had no leg rest, it was a mad dash to get through passport control, security checks and
reach the airline on time before take off!!

No comments: