Thursday, September 18, 2008

Disappointment in 'Flying the Flag!'

The smaller, narrower white wheelchair was uncomfortable and rickety, but even so, I fitted into it snugly. Tearing down the ramp to the entrance of the plane, holding on tightly to my bag and
the side of the chair, we were greeted by two airline stewards (male) of around 40 - 45 and two
young flight attendents. The greeting that I received was not one of may we be of assistance, or
sorry to see your plight, but pure surliness and aggressive behaviour for the inconvenience I was
causing, the flight being slightly delayed due to my mishap and the fact that the wheelchair would block up the aisle for some time as they took me to my seat.

A quick decision was made as to which aisle I should go on and I was passed through Business
Class. I admit, till this moment I thought that the seat I had paid for and been allocated was in
this section of the aircraft, where I would be able to extend my leg and keep it in the required
outstretched position. But, I was told in 'no uncertain terms' that this was not so and that even
though there were spare seats in this area, I was forbidden from sitting there, irrelevant of my
predicament. I begged the head steward to reconsider, explaining that there was no way I
could sit in a regular seat, but he firmly, rudely and aggressively refused, even though I offered
then and there to pay an additional fee for this purpose.

Flabbergasted, in extreme pain and tears, I was dragged through the cabin, past uncaring,
curious as well as annoyed faces, to the middle of the aircraft, where I was told I would now have
to jump over the arm of the chair, holding my leg in the air, in the limited gangway on to a row
of three seats, that were available for me to lie down on, but where the two individual arm rests
of the seats, could not be lifted up to an upright position, but would keep falling down on me
pressing me onto the seat, unable to move, only wriggle, throughout the following 11 hour flight!!

Impatience evident, my smaller bad was placed as a pillow for my head, my larger case next to
the seat next to my ankle, blankets and pillows brought for mere to place around me, an extention
seat belt so that I would not roll too far off the seat and I was left to my own devices.
Here I was, flying the national airline, lying across three seats, two arm rests laying over my
upper chest area and the other over my thighs, my strapped up ankle resting on a mixture
of blankets and pillows, scared, uncomfortable, thirsty, hungry and in terrible pain.

No comments: