Friday, July 4, 2008

Tips & Fits

I can't believe it, in a city as large and populated in Beijing, I am now being remembered by taxi drivers!! On more than one occasion it has come to pass that a driver has taken me and known exactly where it was that I wished to go!! Please do not imagine that I am able to communicate in Chinese, but as an expert in body language and making myself understood verbally in a mixture of languages and a smattering of Chinese, I get by!

What is it? My hair, my clothes? Am I the only blond, short, 'not slim'
foreigner in Beijing? So, be warned. Driving in a taxi is always an unbelievable experience.

For those of you who will be travelling to Qingdao for the 'water' Olympics, so far as per my visit there, suntan lotion need not be on your
list of priorities. British coastline or the Mediterranean it is not, but except for the beaches near Hong Kong, this I understand is as good
as it gets. Maybe I have been spoilt, as I have lived in the sun for such
a long time, but the white sand and misty days I found disappointing.

A beach here though is much less noisy than those back home, for even though a game of badminton may be being played, at least the shuttlecock doesn't make any noise! What is nice though is how families and friends sit together on the sand, these two things being of prime importance to the natives and smiles and laughter can be seen and heard all around.

The strange part though is the tents. As far as I knew, tents are used for camping, but here they are used as a sun protector and are an essential part of the trip to the beach! If you do not have this requirement, then chairs and an enormously over sized umbrella will suffice. Clothes are the attire for women and bare flesh kept to a minimum, except for the gentlemen, who seem to be sporting 'bikini' swimming costumes as were last worn in the 70's!

Kiddies in woo lies and sandals, armed with buckets and spades, adults not even stopping to roll up their pants as they wade into the ocean, is
such an unusual sight, that I wondered at times why I was again the main
attraction, sitting on the furthest wall away from the sea, minding my own business. But nevertheless, a large amount of holiday revellers decided that I was the 'sideshow' that one had to pose with!

As for the headgear!? All sizes and shapes seem to be the latest mode
and sun visors that stick out so far, that they take up a good chunk of the road! Crocs seem to be the feet gear to wear and often mine are pointed at and commented on "oh! you have a pair too!"

But the most shocking observation of all, was the lack of bicycles!! After
Beijing where it is a wheel every second, here the 'non' event of them was the surprise. Here the traffic lights have clocks attached to them, counting down the seconds till they change. I haven't quite worked out yet if this is because the people of this city drive too fast or too slow!!

As for coffee shops and less crowded places, I did find that in this particular city, it was possible to find a more secluded spot and have a
quiet cuppa, but that is not a promise for what is to come in the Olympic
days, all I can say is good luck!

Last tips, for those Olympic ticket holders among you. There is a 57 point manual being given on the dos and don'ts of the Olympics and I suggest that you read carefully the back of your official tickets.

No food may be brought that is of a size that can be thrown. Does that
mean we can bring a bag of peas and toss one at a time??? I hope not!
I understand the concern and for a hassle and happier travel, the least
carried the better, the less that will be confiscated and to the committees
credit, low priced refreshments have been the promised order of the day.

Remember, that the idea is to have fun. It will not be easy, 'cos the inconvenience to the already crowded city will be rife, but the expectations are high and the moral needs boosting, besides there is so
much to see and take in, just stay smiley and calm - as well as polishing up your haggling skills! See you in Beijing!



No comments: