Friday, July 18, 2008

A Sad Time

Being far away from home can be very hard at times, not only because I miss my children and grand-daughter, but being out of the country when the nation binds together, as only Israel knows how, can be difficult too. Watching the coffins of Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev being
brought home, was heartbreaking and in turn receiving warm condolences from fellow colleagues
on the happening, touching. One even went so far as to wear a tie full of flags and proudly showed me that the Israeli flag had 'pride of place on it'.

I came to Beijing with enthusiasm and excitement, hoping to be here through the build up to the
Olympic Summer Games and somehow participate in their preparation, whether through teaching English or purchasing tickets, but to share in the atmosphere.

Today unfortunately, I do not feel the same way, as the last few months have been a series of
ping-pong over the visas, tickets, spot passport checks, taxi refusal to take you because you are
a foreigner, as well as other annoying bits that makes one feel that the Olympics should have been delayed and celebrated in 2012.

A few nights ago, a firework rehearsal was done at the 'Bird's Nest' stadium, that truly highlighted the sky, but nevertheless leaves a feeling that together with the general clean up
of the city, through flowers and decorations, is just a cosmetic welcome as opposed to a truly
warm one. Personally I feel at this point, that if the government would appoint volunteers to
stand on the streets giving out free badges, stickers or flags, it would greater endear them in the
eyes of visiting nations, as opposed to only spending money on the opening and closing ceremonies, that will be forgotten within a month, whereas freebies and welcoming gestures
will go a longer way in changing the sour taste that most people have towards this year's games.

As for tickets, I have been informed from abroad that tickets will be on sale during the games, but no such notification has been given here and with the general paranoia over security and the
book of rules, I truly wonder if this will be so. As for myself, I have purchased one ticket and hopefully it will be delivered safely and I shall attend my one event and participate in the olympic festivities or harrassment depending on on how it will be at the time!

Nevertheless, all said and done, it should and hopefully will be, once the games start, an
exciting time for everyone, a coming together of people through a love of sport, in the name of
the game, a moment of harmony and all willing, peace too, I for my part intend to be there in
the thick of it - hope to see you too.

No comments: