Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Odd Observations

Now it has happened to me too, I have finally experienced a 'western' taxi driver who expects
to be tipped, without even waiting for permission! Twice this week I was not given change, it
is irrelevant of what the amount was, but the principle in a country where tipping is not part
of the culture.

Workmen and they are in abundance, little dots of colorful tin hats moving as a swarm up and
down the scaffolding's, seem at lunch time to just drop down on their haunches and open some
mysterious lunch box and eat in any position, at any place!

The news on TV is always opposite to what is written on the CNN or BBC and only after two
or three days is it changed to lightly correspond with that on the inter net. More often than not
most of the web sites are blocked, or impossible to access, that only makes you ever the more
curious.

Traffic wardens look quite fierce, wearing almost army attire and armbands and caps, a little
too severe for the unknowing foreigner. Policemen seem to be more visible and out and about
these days, the numbers increasing all the more as the Olympic Torch is 'suffering' further
along on its way.

'Why do the foreigners live in communities?' I was asked, I could not think of a reply to this
query as the answer seemed obvious, kind always is drawn to kind.

Contrary again to belief, noodles are the favorite dish and not rice, but dumplings beating all
hands down. I wonder if they have a dumpling eating contest here as they do a hot dog one
in America?

For Houmus lovers, I don't recommend the 'Chinese' kind, as it is a light watered down
version of the original. As it was my birthday last Sunday, I was invited out for a meal, being
allowed to choose and putting my foot down at not eating noodles in soup, we went in search
of Houmus. As no alcohol was allowed at this particular establishment, one of my companions
went off in search of wine or beer. 50 minutes later, he returned with 4 bottles in hand and
could not understand why we were rolling about laughing at his behaviour! It wasn't that he
went that was amusing, but the amount of time he took!

Lastly, the best question of all this week, was if I had a choice of where to live, between China,
England or Israel, what would I choose? I leave you to guess my answer and upon my reply
was asked to explain. I can only say that the longer that I am out of Israel, the more I realise
how advanced it is in medicine and technology and as for the pace, well I am far more suited
to the faster style than 'laid back China', but whatever you do, don't say that to the Chinese,
they feel that China is moving very fast along, because haven't you noticed the fast rate that
the buildings go up? But as for worldly awareness, that is still lacking unfortunately far behind.

Nevertheless, they are a naive and mostly charming nation.

No comments: