Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lonely Traveller

Upon speaking to one of my sons this week about backpacking and travelling, it occurred to me that the above do not always 'tell the truth' or at the time they are experiencing all, they prefer to keep the problems and difficulties to themselves.

In Beijing I had opportunity to meet what can only be described as 'well dressed' temporary visitors. They came as a team, full of hope and expectation, willingness and eagerness to work, open availability and optimism. But, then after a brief two months, they had packed up their bags, almost without a by your leave and were off home for one and a new country for the other.

What went wrong? Was there a miscommunication on either side, or too much expectation? Did disappointment set in too fast, or the visa difficulties of the Olympics made it not worth the effort. Or was it simply a holiday romance turning sour with too much stress? It made me think
of myself. Romanticism is overrated. Each one makes their own choices when travelling and you have to remember to stick to your plan and original agenda. The minute that the adventure does not keep up with your expectations, is to hang up your 'boots' and set off home.

As for myself, do not think that it is easy to set myself apart from my loved ones, whether it be family or friend, but for now it is the right place to be. The learning experience is wonderful and the respect shown heady. The classroom has proven to be an interesting place to be in, not only one that shares language, but the opportunity to share culture and thoughts and truly fulfil the meaning of the word teacher. Today I think I was paid one of the nicest compliments that I have received since coming here. One of my lady students, told me that she repeated to her mother most of what I shared with them in class, including my ideas and way of life. She continued to say that her mother shared most of my opinions and was so happy that I was able to express them to her daughter, for she would not have known of how to start.

I found these words, heartwarming and supportive, especially when she went on to say that they, the students, viewed me as an 'earth mother'. It is not that I have not been told comments like these in the past, it is simply that to be told such words from a Chinese person, who is living in a time of 'reform' and change, was emotional and touching. I must admit that I am greedily looking forward to more!

Every week I try to bring forward new discussions and last week was no exception. The question of whether China is now a 'classed' society is one that comes up often and the fact that
now in Cuba citizens are allowed to own Mobile Phones! One never sees one's own hunchback, only that of others. The story of boycotting Carree continues, with the French Ambassador
making a statement that he wants to meet with the Chinese athlete that was 'set upon' by the French protesters, even though she was confined to a wheelchair, because he is sorry for the poor treatment that she received in Paris. The Chinese are still intending to boycott the supermarket chain from the first of May, but that doesn't stop them meanwhile from shopping there in bulk to stock up. Seriously though, the reason for their insistence on continuing with their threat, is to show solidarity with their country, in the only way they feel they can.

Even though I don't believe it is going to be effective, I understand their motives and admire their passion, but did point out that I personally have no love for the French, as my ex husband was one, but the French at the moment seem to dislike everybody and are even 'up in arms' that the French song chosen for the Euro vision contest is to be sung partly in English; as the singer explained 'it is the only way for him to express the meaning of the song!' Whoops, that sounds a little anti-french itself to me, be that the people or language?

As for America, that brought its own controversy, as outside the White House you had Catholic protesters protesting against the Protestant protesters, those who were atheist protesting the visit altogether and those who felt if he hadn't come to add financial support to the falling economy, who needed him!! I could not help wonder if people were bored and had nothing better to do with their time!

I still say to my students, if someone doesn't want to come, let them stay at home. That they should calm down and not take it all so personally for it works both ways. Visa update.. for those of you who are planning to come to China at present, remember a ticket to the Olympics is imperative or to be part of a tour. Business visas are only being issued for two monthly periods and all forms have to be filled in with a black pen, doing the for-mentioned does not automatically grant you plain sailing, but hopefully will help cut down on some frustration!

No comments: