Thursday, January 1, 2009

Is That You?

Struggling with a heavy bag laden with gifts, I made my way up the stairs of the entrance to the
place where I work. The security guard, here dressed in business suit, as opposed to uniform,
came quickly forward to open the door for me and assist me with my burden. Taking the lift up
to the 8th floor, I was understandably nervous, what would be my reception.

But, I need not have worried, as I entered the doorway, the smiles were wide, the voice warm with emotion and pride. "You're back!" was the cry. Greetings of 'how well you look', 'how brave you are', 'we were not sure if you would come back' rang out, but here I was, now hoping to pick
up not from where I left off, but to restart.

Pleasantries over, it was now time to discuss the work situation. The financial crisis had reached
China too, but not yet to the extent of grave concern, there was work, but quiet for this time of year, but things looked positive for the coming one after the Chinese New Year. It was agreed that for the time being I would work in house, as not to incur too much travel, which may prove to be difficult with a pair of crutches in tow. It was good to be back.

Now the month has ended and the new year begun. I have become a pro at getting in and out
of cabs, now challenging myself to try and go with one crutch. I have heard from other people
worldwide that the quiet times have hit, both in the business sector and education one too.

As for me, the true and warm welcome from colleague and student alike, has shown me that I
was right to come back. I could not have left without saying goodbye properly, or have gone
without completing my contracted time here too. In truth I have returned different, not only
in appearance plus appendage, hopefully temporarily, but with a new attitude to work, how
much there is I will take, but I will not eat myself up if there isn't enough and keep to my goal
of continuing to write!

Just before Christmas, we had a work party. This was a first for me and the only thing that
was missing was the mistletoe, but that was a good thing. Fun and games were had by all. For
me, it was strange that a nation that has no connection to Christianity, celebrate parties all over
the city with tombola, lucky dips and even Christmas gifts!? The streets are decorated with
trees and lights, Santa Claus decked out in his red suit bright and cheerful at many a site, mainly
of course outside the many shopping malls that are strategically placed around the city. Christmas Dinner is available at a price, one of the most expensive being 3,500 yuan per person
and there were no shortage of diners lining up to dine. But, the 'dinner' is mainly eaten at night!

Beijing is not high on the list of places to celebrate this holiday or even that of new year, for it is
not a religious festival of their keeping, but nevertheless, one has to commend the Chinese on
trying to make the ex pats feel welcome in their city, especially if they are unable to fly back home for the festivities. Now all that was left, was to celebrate the new year.

No comments: