Friday, May 23, 2008

An unexpected wonder!

As you disembark from your vehicle, you are greeted by four massive buildings and at first you are a little at a loss as to where to enter first, as of course nothing is written in English. Deciding to enter the one straight in front of me,
I climbed the steps and entered a large darkly lit hallway, passing by the book stall, I entered the inner room.

For a moment, no available space could be found at the chest high wall in front of me and I stood closely next to the backs of those in front of me, waiting for the first available space. After a while and a little impatience on my part as others were crowding into my back, I found a spot andmoved closer. If I say that my mouth fell open in wonderment, you can picture it.

It was not that the sight before my eyes was beautiful, colorful or eye to eye; it was the sheer size of the room! The display hall is the size of two football pitches, surrounded by a low wall, where one can press up against and gaze in wonder at the site before you, take pictures and stare in amazement.

The soldiers are posed in standing, crouching, armed and disarmed positions, some facing in your direction and others in another. Afterwards when one buys
the guide book, all is explained and you understand that these were positions of
battle. At the end of the hall, there are some life sized figures and horses that
can only be seen clearly as you make your way around the hall.

This pit, still being excavated holds both damaged and broken pieces and to think that they were left undiscovered for so many years is mind boggling. To say that they are impressive, is not enough, it is not only that you can see that
they were once of various colored uniforms, or that their faces all hold different
features and expressions, it is the sheer vastness of the pit and you can only stand and imagine how much work and how many people were needed to create this wonder. It left me speechless, astounded and overcome at their force.

No comments: