Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Change is Coming

My time in the apartment had come to a close and it was now time to move on to my next
destination. This was both an up and down grade, as I moved into a studio apartment at a
nearby hotel. The walk or push there for me was not difficult, but for my children laden with
my meagre belongings, they were nevertheless burdened down.

Upon our arrival, we were greeted warmly, for after all I was to be a guest of that establishment
for the next 11 days, but was more than disappointed upon seeing my room. After having been
in a light airy apartment, I now found myself in a dark, dismal, poorly furnished, musty smelling
room. The sitting room had a sofa and coffee table, the kitchenette just a sink and fridge and
the adjoining bedroom a double bed that took up the whole room with no room to manoeuvre
a wheelchair. I could not contain my disappointment and burst into tears.

The previous day, on the way to one of my many visits to doctors, I had actually stopped and
bought from the bazaar shop, a couple of tops, that I would be able to wear over my clothes
to make a change from the two tops that I had brought; childishly thinking that in this 'hotel' I
would want to look a little presentable and was now so disappointed with my surroundings.

Deciding to complain, I returned to the front desk and tearfully told them of my feelings and
predicament, to their credit they immediately offered to bring me a kettle and to change my
room over in a few days, as it was the eve of the Jewish New Year and there were no rooms
available at present.

Comforted with these words, I returned to make the best of my room for the next few days.
Jewish New Year has great significance, as I am know does the Chinese New Year and am sure
in other religions too. It is a time for introspective searching and prayer for receiving and
achieving the best for the coming year. Under Jewish Law it is also important to make sure
that one has asked for forgiveness from any person you may have hurt during that time, so
ensuring prosperity and good health for the following 12 months. Going to the synagogue plays
an important role, as it is their that one hears the sounding of the ram's horn, which is a symbol
of awakening and awareness both of past and future.

This is a family time, when members close and distant will come together to partake and enjoy
a meal together and for myself and my children, this was to be no different. As to where we
should hold the actual meal was a decision that was made by the children, for it was too
inconvenient to bring the food up to me, but more practical for me to be brought down to them.

For this end, my youngest son, was enlisted to 'drive' me down the main road in my vehicle,
the wheelchair and bring me safely to their home in town. This sounds easier than it was.
The problem with my Rolls Royce wheelchair was that one it was heavy and two the road of
Jerusalem at present are in a state of upheaval as for the past few years they have been
constantly moving pipes, buildings, digging and drilling preparing for the new overground
'light' train that will be working as an underground system throughout Jerusalem, just over
ground!

So, our exit from the hotel went smoothly, but as we came to the kerb's edge, my son and
I had a difference of opinion as to how he should cross the road and fearing for my safety
I held on to the arms of the chair for dear life as we careered across the bumpy roads at top
speed to our place of invitation! There I had to tackle the staircase, choosing to descend and
later ascend on my rear end, for safety!!

But, it was well worth the evening's effort, it was a delicious meal and a wonderful time
spent together even though two of my sons were missing from our table, as they were not
in the country or city at that time. A moment for reflection and hope for the coming year
and followed by another speedy thrilling ride back to my apartment room, safely.

No comments: