Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do They Know What They Are Doing??

It is a terrible thing to say, especially when you are feeling so vulnerable, not to have faith in your anaesthesiologist, but I didn't. I know that Hadassah is a teaching hospital and my own
daughter is studying there to be a doctor, but when you are the patient, waiting to be put under,
scared and feeling small (even if you are not), it is very frightening to lie there and know that
the minute they put the drip in your arm, you are not in control any longer.

For those who know me personally, you know that I am someone who is highly independent and
always try to be in command of myself and my situation, but here I find myself alone, on an
uncomfortable bed, in a lying down position, in a gown that was open at the back, listening to
a discussion about how much I would need to put me under, by someone who was having
difficulty in understanding what was being said to him, or making himself understood due to
a language barrier!!! I would not used the word terrified, but I would say that I was truly worried about the outcome of the situation. Whilst lying there alone in this narrow corridor,
next to oxygen pumps and theatre equipment, I was desperately praying for someone to come
who could speak Hebrew or even English!!

I could see through the door 'my' surgeon fiddling with equipment, trying to make himself look
busy, but succeeding in looking totally inefficient. I was scared. Whilst holding down the bile
of fear that was rising in my throat, I made the decision to absolutely protest against any action
until I was 100% sure that I was in capable hands Don't get me wrong, I do not believe for a
second that the hospital employs incompetents, but just that language ability is so important
not only to be able to understand what is going on, but to also transfer the relevant information
required.

To my rel lief, a senior member of staff appeared, he seemed so by his demeanor and way that
he took over, besides to my relief he spoke a language that I could understand!! Seeing the
fear on my face, he immediately understood and assured me that I was in capable hands,
answered my questions and before I could count 99,98 I was asleep!!

I awoke in the recovery room, with my daughter standing by my side, my leg had been reset
and now it was time for me to be transferred to the Orthopedic Ward where I would stay till
the next stage of my treatment and recovery. But little did I know what was awaiting me there
or how miserable I was about to become.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Language barrier?

Perhaps there is a case for Esperanto after all.

An interesting video can be seen at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670