Saturday, January 26, 2008

Departure

Well of course last minute hiccups, I bought myself a nice new quilt which I managed to burn, so a mad dash to the supermarket to buy a new one!! Some unfriendliness at the airport, overweight
of course, I can't travel anywhere without my books, Scoobydoo, red hippo and blue elephant.... more about those particular friends at a later date.

A tearful wave, hug and kiss, followed by a mad dash to the gate (I always swear I never run) as they were calling my name, a smooth flight after being told to move my seat to make way for an
airhostess.. so much for flying the flag, but an otherwise smooth flight. Nine and a half hours later to the dot, we landed. Everyone is very solemn at the airport, one has to remember that this is a 'C' country, no sign of guns, but officials dressed in green uniform all over the airport, solemnly watching your every move.

No hassle with the visa, no questions asked, a brief and pleasant entry, but a long hike - this I was soon to discover a normality in China, everything is a distance, even your local supermarket.
Out to the taxi ranks, an official hands you a paper with the taxi number on it in case of complaint, plus how much the taxi will cost. My driver was none to happy at the size of my
suitcase and took some persuading to pick it up and put it in the baggage, as tipping is not the
norma here, I understand his trepidation; but after a smile and a bow, on my part, we set off
on our way - arriving at my destination I collapsed from emotional tiredness, with no energy or
will to even undress or unpack, it would all wait for the morning.

1 comment:

Davina& Ruth said...

Hi Granny,

I miss u!

Love
XXXXXXXXXXX

Ruth