Friday, December 19, 2008

On the Wings of a 'Dragon'

'Support your flag' has always been my motto, but after my disastrous previous
flights with our own airline, I absolutely refused to do so this journey and instead opted to fly British. As St. George, famed for his slaying of the dragon
is the patron Saint of England, it seemed a good choice, but admittedly I had heard mixed reports of this Country's airline and its well documented fatal opening at Terminal 5, Heath row. Nevertheless, I decided to take my chances.

Now a tip for all future travellers, never take anything for granted, always read
the website baggage allowance tips in advance and come prepared for battle. Gone are the days of getting away without paying overweight, for most of the
airlines, but even more frustrating is the fact whether you can bring one or two
bags and up to what weight are they allowed to be!

Having carefully read and measured my hand luggage allowance, I understood that I would be able to bring a large suitcase up to 23kg and if it was a long
distance haul, which I presumed China to be, a second case too. So, here I was
with a long, soft bag (I had especially chosen this kind as to ensure that no extra
weight would be incurred due the heavy steel trolley that is usually sewn into the
lining) an extra large shopping bag that encased my blankets - both of these to
be sent through. My on flight bag that held breakables and my computer and my rucksack, with my on flight necessities.

But, when it came to check in, I was informed, that I was not allowed to send two bags through and only upon insisting that the website was misleading, was
reluctantly allowed to do so! Next, even though requesting wheelchair help and
finding it difficult to walk with my hand luggage, I made my way somewhat gingerly and lumbering through the security. A tearful goodbye to my daughter,
words choking in my throat, I knew it would be hard to go, I had spent so many an hour with her talking, laughing and sharing as well as the best time ever with
my granddaughter, but it was 'unfinished business' that was pulling me back.

Offers of work there had been, but I still felt in a 'Dorothy' like state, having been pulled out of Beijing with no warning and felt that I had not completed my stint or had a chance to say goodbye, so now with a breaking heart, I said my
farewells and went on through. At the passport control, which is always a little intimidating and formal, I was affronted when the border policewoman climbed
down and came around the front, unsure of what was happening, I was stunned to find an offer of assistance and annoyance at her colleagues that no one had
stepped forward to help me in my predicament, of balancing myself and my
luggage too. Due to her kindness, I was place in a buggy and driven straight to
the border area and assisted right onto the plane!

My seat found, I settled myself in for the long journey. The staff was helpful and
kind, passing by many a time to ensure that I was comfortable, so unlike my emergency flight in August. A brief stopover in London would ensure my praise
of this airline's service. From the plane I was taken and dropped off at a waiting area where I was to be picked up again and taken to my next Gate of call. Seeing that the queue for this service was long and having a few hours to spare, a helpful assistant told me that I would be able to check in my hand luggage, so
freeing myself of any items other than those necessary and would be able to
wander around the airport lounge area.

But, after lightening myself of my load, I was aghast to find upon arrival at the
duty free area, that it was truly something to be proud of, but I was incapable of
walking it. Stopping to look only at the magazines and books, I was struggling to make my way through the maze to a coffee area, when a voice came up behind me, asking 'are you in need of assistance?'. There was a red vested smiling face pushing a wheelchair, with passenger inside, looking at me quizzically. I gratefully nodded my head and he promised to be back in a flash
to help me with whatever I needed.

True to his word, he returned and wheeled my around a while, before depositing me at a coffee shop after having booked my my next mode of transport to the Gate at an appointed hour. On time, I returned, only to be informed that my chariot had already departed, but told 'not to worry love' we shall find you another and true to their word, they did. The flight though long, passed pleasantly enough and as we drew nearer, I began to worry a little about further assistance in China. But be concerned, I need not have been, for with prompt
efficiency a chair was awaiting me and together with a porter in tow, my luggage picked up in the briefest of time and we were outside and raring to go.

Taxi found, porter paid, I was on my way back to my apartment, what would be waiting for me there I wondered, for no one had set foot inside for three and a half months. Would I be able to make it up the stairs? Did I still have electricity? All these questions were soon enough going to be answered.

No comments: