Sunday, January 27, 2008

First Day

Well, today I probably had my last european breakfast - went out and took my first impressions of the city. How easy it is to say that all Asians lookalike and how untrue that expression is. Like every other nation in the world they come in all shapes and sizes, especially the men.

The women on the whole, if they are above school age and are in university or at work, generally seem to dress conservatively, slacks, smart jeans and some kind of smart top (not a t shirt or sweatshirt or a business suit), the men on the other hand if they work in business or even hi-tech wear a shirt and smart sweater above, or in some cases a jacket, not necessarily a business suit. Of course the higher the hierarchy, the more formal the dress, suits for both male and female.

As to the youngsters, their clothes are warm, padded, uncolorful and not overly fashionable. The
haircuts of the young teenagers are more trendy in the boys than the girls, the girls opting for the bangs (fringe) and straight hanging down look.

Watching a mother with her childen, which is uncommon in China, as the law is for one child per family unless you are able to afford the fine, it is obvious that the boy child is the more important. It was surprising to see a parent openly slap a child in public, as this is unforgiveable today in the west, but more about the relationship of parents and their children at a later date.

Smoking! Well everyone does it openly, on the bus, in the restaurants, on the street; pollution laws do not apply here. My first day has been spent coughing away, the air and smog so dry, that it has caught in the back of my throat, how terrible to believe that in time I will get used to it!! what a dreadful thought. Some Chinese, not foreigners, walk around with theatre masks on their mouths, I have been told that most of them are filled with charcoal and for some have become the norma after the ''Sars'' scare.

Crossing the road - well, here you can be runover by a bicycle! To go over to the other side is not a question of looking right to left, but more the case of putting your life in the hands of your feet, depending on how quickly you can move. Please let me stress that this includes zebra crossings, the green/red man and red traffic lights, the only safe place is the pedestrian bridges, as they are too high for a car to drive up.

Spitting as of yet I have not seen, but after suffering the choking sensation in my throat, it is not a wonder that they do! I of course as any european will restrain such urges to a private corner and use of a tissue. Nevertheless, I have managed to create a stir with my yellow crocs and brightly colored socks, I have become an object of curiosity. (Not to think for a moment that it could also be because of my blonde hair and colorful clothes!) Living in Israel for the last 22 years has given me a thicker skin than I even knew I had, I have managed to ignore all stares and snickering and walked the city boldly.

After my visit to my future place of employment (tomorrow), I was warmed by the welcome and effort made to make me feel at home both by an ex-pat and young Chinese woman, as well as my future boss and employer both.

(Even though this story took place during the second week of January, it will take me a while to catch up with the pages, so bear that please in mind whilst reading).

First impressions: People are people, human nature is the same worldwide, some are friendly, others are shy. As to the weather in these early days: not to cold, still managing to walk around without tights and in my usual cardigan (no shawl) and scarf. English: a little, those that can speak will actually stop you on the street and ask to try it out. Taxis: available most of the time and cheap over the short distance. (Remember that at present I am still with monies from abroad, when it will be on the local salary, it could appear different).

My attitude after arrival and day one - positive... looking forward to starting work in the morning.

No comments: