Friday, January 25, 2008

Eve of Departure

Well here I am, a 50 year old woman, planning to leave home and begin an adventure on my own - till now, I have always been first a mother/father/breadwinner/workaholic (also out of necessity) and.... friend, life coach, guide ....

It all started 8 years ago when I first heard that the olympics of 2008 would be held in China, Beijing. I immediately rang my best friend and told her 'we'll be there, start saving!'. Today,my children now are grown up, one married and the other three have left the roost, finding their own way, the last leaving home in June 2007, it was now time for me to spread my wings.

At first I thought of Italy, what finer place to polish my italian, even after a year of study, all I can remember to say is 'my name is...', well with that limited knowledge of the language I decided against it; next was Vienna - beautiful city, elegant offices, but that seemed a little too close to home for the first adventure - so I looked further afield for a location more fitting. ThenI remembered my words from a few years back and so began a correspondence with China, Beijing - they said 'yes!, come as soon as possible'.

Of course that was easier said than done, first birth of a grand-daughter, work commitments to complete and tying up things at home, the date was set, January 6 2008, and the eve of departure upon me.

'You are so brave' some say, 'stay, stay' say others, 'go' say the kids and my mind is in turmoil - how to leave the children, the baby - friends, for those of you with commitments you can understand how difficult it can be, whether it be home, work, family or friends - all rolled together, but the decision has been made.

So passed an emotional weekend, bravely holding back the tears (somewhat unsuccessfully),voice wobbling, love overflowing, the time has come to go......

No comments: